subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creating commits with empty changesets
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 11:25:03 GMT
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Jö Fahlke <jorrit@jorrit.de> wrote:
> Am Tue,  8. Nov 2011, 09:05:39 +0000 schrieb Giulio Troccoli:
>> I really don't understand why you can't use
>>
>> svn pe svn:log <filename>
>>
>> This doesn't change history, the commit you did doesn't change.
>> You're only correcting a mistake in the message.
>
> * Because the server does not allow it.
>
> * Because it creates problems for people who already updated to the faulty
>  commit (e.g. with git-svn).

You didn't mention git-svn. While it's a useful tool, I've gone a few
rounds with such users when they were using a CVS->Subversion planning
a migration, and a Subverson->git for their own work, and they threw a
wobbly when I re-arranged things in the old CVS repository to make the
long-term move cleaner. (Re-arranged material to avoid name conflicts
and get material *out* of the migration tree that didn't need to be
there.)

Boy, did they throw a fit. Long term synchronization via the git-svn
toolkit is fragile and should *not* be relied as canonical historical
information.