subversion-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tony Butt" <>
Subject Re: Subversion repository config problem
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 04:42:46 GMT
On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 15:07 +1100, Tony Butt wrote:

	Hi all,
	We have recently upgraded our subversion servers from 1.6.17 to 1.7.1,
	and as I usually do when making the 'semi-major' upgrade, dumped and
	reloaded the repository.
	Our environment is Ubuntu 10.04.03 LTS server, apache 2.2, subversion
	1.7.1 (was 1.6.17). Our clients are mixed windows and linux subversion
	We run multiple access methods, usually http://, but sometimes
	svn+ssh:// on the repository, so some effort is made to implement and
	tune the 'multiple repository access method' as outlined in the manual.
	To this end, the repository is owned by the web user, and the group is
	'svn', which all users who should have svn+ssh access belong to.
	In the process of doing that, I found one or two checkins  failed, as
	group write permission was required to the db directory. I added that,
	and at the same time checked the trees under db/revs , and db/revprops.
	Here I noticed 2 things:
	1) the individual revs and revprops files are now read-only, previously
	they were read/write for group and owner.
	2) the svn+ssh committed files were owned by the committing user (myself
	in the test case)
	I tried to edit the log message of a commit made with svn+ssh://, using
	http:// access, and failed. Now the strange thing, after changing a
	different commit message for a test (using http:// access only,
	successsfully), drafting this email, and re-checking the revprops file
	in question, it was now owned by www-data - the apache user.
	In short, this is unexpected behaviour for me, but not exactly broken.
	Tony Butt
	CEA Technologies

I re-checked this scenario, again making a trivial change and committing using svn+ssh://
Tried to edit the log message using http:// access, TortoiseSVN fails, and reports:

DAV request failed; It's possible that the repository's pre-revprop-hook either failed or
is non-existent.
At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
Error setting property 'log';

There are also some post-commit-hook failures reported, relating to our trac integration.

When I check the revprop file for 63490, the ownership of the file has changed from tjb:svn
to www-data:svn, and the log message has actually changed.

If I repeat this process, but use http:// access throughout, no such errors occur.

Tony Butt
CEA Technologies
View raw message