subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Cooke, Mark" <mark.co...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: If our SVN server is 1.6.12, why don't I see older merge history on elements merged from branch to trunk?
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 05:59:38 GMT

I wonder why a "recent" upgrade used 1.6.x instead of 1.7.x...

> However, I checked the SVN history for an element that I made
> changes to on a branch, and I looked at that same element
> after it was merged (by someone else) to the trunk.  My
> changes are in that file, but the SVN history doesn't include
> the checkin that I did.  Is this simply happening because of
> how the merge to trunk was done?  Is there a particular way
> that merges have to be done to preserve merge history?

It sounds like you are expecting merge history to magically appear for merges done _before_
the server was upgraded?  In that case, no, svn does not go back and try to re-create history
(I suspect that would be at best an error-prone exercise) but you should start to see info
being added going forward.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

~ mark c