subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: File external that worked fine in 1.6.x not working in 1.7.5
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:57:59 GMT

On Jul 25, 2012, at 17:50, Benjamin Fritz wrote:

> That's interesting that it works like a switch underneath. But it IS
> very possible to pull in *directory* externals from other
> repositories

Absolutely.

> which makes me wonder about whether this is relevant.

It's my understanding that file externals (which are a relatively new feature for Subversion)
are implemented very very differently under the hood from directory externals (which have
been around for a long long time) so it's not surprising they would have very different restrictions
and behaviors.

> The explanation works for file externals but doesn't explain why
> directory externals from other repositories work.

Directory externals are implemented as additional "svn checkout"s (or updates) following the
primary checkout (or update).