subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Importing multiple dumps into a single repository
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 23:28:16 GMT

On Jul 2, 2012, at 16:49, David Newman wrote:

> Consider a repository with multiple projects.  Each project is separately dumped and
imported into another repository.  Where before the revisions were sequential by time, now
they are sequential by project.

> So far the only problem I have come across is that checkout by date isn't completely
accurate.  The checkout seems to move forward through revisions until it gets to the first
revision that satisfies the timestamp and stops there whereas for each subsequent project
that is imported there are later revisions that would also satisfy the request.

> 1) Will this create any other problems other than the timestamp checkout problem?

That's the only problem I know of. Note that monolithic repositories like the Apache Foundation's
own repository do this, and seem to survive.

> 2) Is there a way to reinterleave the revisions, i.e. take two dumps, cat and sort revisions
by commit date?

svndumptool offers this feature.

http://web.archive.org/web/20101102200928/http://svn.borg.ch/svndumptool/

They call this feature "merge". Read about it here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20091028024633/http://svn.borg.ch/svndumptool/0.6.1/README.txt

Download it here:

http://distfiles.macports.org/python/svndumptool-0.6.1.tar.gz