subversion-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Bögershausen <tbo...@web.de>
Subject Re: UNS: SVN not usable on a Mac (#2464)
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2012 13:55:27 GMT
Am 2012-08-04 13:23, schrieb Stefan Sperling:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 04:21:33PM +0200, Andreas Krey wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:14:13 +0000, Vitus Piroutz wrote:
>>> PS.: i think i have to try Git next.
>>
>> As of git 1.7.2 you won't get lucky. From a software point of view MacOS
>> behaves seriously annoying here. (For git it even has consequences for
>> the way the checksums are computed.) A stat on the composed file name
>> still works (arguably correctly) even though the decomposed name shows
>> up in directory listings and thus in 'git status' as untracked file.
>
> It's been almost a year, and interestingly, git is now starting to tackle
> this problem:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git/commit/76759c7dff53e8c84e975b88cb8245587c14c7ba
>
> The commit message makes no mention of potential compatibility issues
> with existing repositories.
I can only answer for git, and I found the following in the commit message:
When creating a new git repository with "git init" or "git clone",
"core.precomposedunicode" will be set "false".

The user needs to activate this feature manually.
So git is backwards compatible with older version of git, as log as
core.precomposeunicode is false (or not set at all)

HTH
/Torsten