subversion-users mailing list archives

From Zachary Burnham <zburn...@efi.org>
Subject Re: Discrepancies in svn mirror created with svnsync
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 14:47:56 GMT
unsubscribe

[cid:image002.jpg@01CD8139.6DE4E9D0]

Zachary Burnham | Web Developer
Energy Federation Inc | 1 Willow Street | Southborough, MA 01772
508.870.2277 x4467 | f 888.440.4219
zburnham@efi.org<mailto:zburnham@efi.org> | efi.org<http://www.efi.org/>

On Feb 8, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Stefan Sperling <stsp@elego.de<mailto:stsp@elego.de>>
wrote:

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 03:45:16PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 11:44:40AM +0100, Andreas Krey wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:00:33 +0000, Marius Gedminas wrote:
The cron script runs svnsync every 5 minutes.

Do you make sure svnsync isn't started anew when the previous instance
hasn't terminated yet? (I don't know if that matters.)

No.  Here's my /etc/cron.d/zope-svn-mirror:

 # Mirror the Zope repository
 */5 * * * * root /usr/local/sbin/update-zope-mirror > /dev/null

and here's my /usr/local/sbin/update-zope-mirror:

 #!/bin/sh
 /usr/bin/sudo -u syncuser /usr/bin/svnsync sync file:///stuff/zope-mirror

It's possible that a temporal overlap happened.

Marius Gedminas

I cannot tell you what happened here and why the revisions in the
mirro are empty. That sure is concerning.

However there are known race conditions in svnsync in Subversion 1.6.
See http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#atomic-revprops

So you should definitely wrap svnsync in a tool like lockfile (part of
procmail), or upgrade to 1.7.

It would be interesting to know if this problem also appears with
svnsync from 1.7. Note that with file:// URLs the svnsync you are running
is both client and server from the mirror repository's point of view.
So the version running on svn.zope.org<http://svn.zope.org> doesn't really matter (though
checked, and it appears to be severely outdated...)