subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tagging svn:externals
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:03:53 GMT
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
> Some  clients like TortoiseSVN have a feature that will pin the external to
> the revision you are copping when doing the tag. Otherwise, you have to do
> it manually before or after you create your tag.

Neither choice 'feels' quite right to me unless you have an
intermediate branch to make the change.  That is, if you make it on
the trunk before you copy to the tag you break the likely continuing
work on the trunk that expects the externals to also follow trunk
components.   And if you change it in the tag you are breaking the
convention that you don't change tags.   And if you copy the working
copy to a tag you might get other changes in the tag that weren't
committed anywhere else.    Is there a 'best practice' consensus for
this step?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com