subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Check-out fails with LANG=C
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 21:32:57 GMT
On 31.07.2013 15:49, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> No, even "LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 cp" doesn't have any effect.

What do you mean by "doesn't have any effect"?

> FYI, some other VCS such as git or Mercurial don't have such problems
> of broken working copies if the locale changes, at least under Unix,
> probably because they regard a filename just as a sequence of bytes.
> The byte-sequence interpretation under Unix is a problem introduced by
> Subversion, currently out of the scope of the POSIX API.

Those version control systems have a massive problem with
interoperability across platforms where file name encodings differ and
file names are anything but the ASCII subset. Subversion has mostly
avoided that problem for the last 10+ years.

If you want to propose a different way of solving it, please stop
telling me that we should change everything about file name translation
and instead post to the dev@ list and propose a solution that will work,
backward-compatibly, without breaking current working copies. And note
that "store the encoding in the working copy metadata" is not such a
solution (see above under "works" and "backward-compatibly").

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data