subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Levy <andy.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion to change the name "Subversion"
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:41:03 GMT
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Ryan Schmidt
<subversion-2012c@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> Should the "GIMP" change its name because (when not referring to the software) that can
be a derogatory term? Should "git" change its name because (when not referring to the software)
that term can be used as an insult? No. Each project was undoubtedly aware of the usual meaning
of the word they chose as their name and decided to repurpose it.

IIRC, people *have* suggested that GIMP get a rename. Someone's
probably suggested it for git as well. And isn't there a (possibly
apocryphal) story about the "blame" (either in CVS or SVN) being
aliased to "annotate" and "praise" because a manager somewhere didn't
like the negative connotation of "blame"?

That said, I agree with everyone here, changing the name on a
13-year-old project is not necessary. I'm sure the name and its
spelling was considered thoroughly before it was selected.