subversion-users mailing list archives

From Giulio Troccoli <giulio.trocc...@mediatelgroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Planning a SVN upgrade
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:47:39 GMT

On 23/08/13 21:09, Maureen Barger wrote:
> Hi -
> I am currently planning an upgrade from SVN 1.5 (using svnserve and
> ssh tunnel) to SVN 1.8.1 fronted with Apache and webdav using AD for
> authNz.
> We have about 50 repos. I'll be moving from an older Ubuntu 8 install
> to Centos 6 x64.
>
> My thought was I could upgrade the SVN installation in place, bringing
> the repo up to 1.8 and then dump those repos and bring them online in
> the new environment.
>
> We currently use Eclipse as our IDE and Jenkins as our CI tool with
> Nexus as the object repo. I was thinking to leave the upgrade of
> Eclipse client and svnkit to the indiviidual so they can decide what
> direction to take with their working copies et al. I do not foresee
> any changes I would need to make to Jenkins or Nexus.
>
> Has anyone made a jump this large before? Any comments about my upgrade plan?
>
> Thanks!
Being a totally new server, may I suggest using svnsync instead of a
dump/load cycle? It's very easy to set up, you can still use the old
repositories while syncing and if you take care of using the same UUID
on the new repository you might even be able to make the switch
completely transparent to the clients.

I did an upgrade about three years ago, I think from 1.4 to 1.6, and I
used svnsync. It worked very well.

I don't share others' concerns about not upgrading the repository (which
will happen if you use svnsync). I don't see why now. Besides, using
svnsync, you don't touch the old repositories at all so you still have
the old format repos if you need them.

Just my 2p