subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Apache webdav servers sharing repositories via NFS
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2013 00:28:33 GMT

On Sep 7, 2013, at 19:24, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> > http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/6/l_016_08.html
>
> *Do not do this* with write access repositories, is my advice from knowledge of NFS filesystems.
Writes, and partial writes, can occur from one host for the next "commit" but not actually
be seen on the next "round robin" server until a fairly arbitrary amount of time later, due
to propagation delays inherent in NFS. There's a lot tht NFS can do well, but this is not
one of those tasks.

> I'd really encourage you, for commercial graide high availability or load distribution,
to look at WanDisco's "Multi-Site" or to use a failover load balancer setup. If server 1 goes
toes up, serer 2 is available, and handles all the traffic. But mixing and matching back and
forth randomly as can happen with round-robin? That sounds like a dangerous idea likely to
bite you at really, really bad moments due to simultaneous commits through two different NFS
enabled front ends.

It sounds like a great idea, *if* you are using a SAN with a cluster filesystem, such as Apple's
Xsan. NFS is not a cluster filesystem so that would not be a good idea.