subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Breaking up a monolothic repository
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 14:43:53 GMT
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Grierson, David
<David.Grierson@bskyb.com> wrote:
> I can see Trent's view point that people are weird and get freaked out by the unexpected
(where they might expect the revision numbers to be relatively low).

I could see that for someone who had never used subversion before and
did not understand the concept of global revision numbers, but not for
anyone who has used a multi-project repository.

> I guess what we should be providing him are points like you do make to help him sell
why this isn't an issue to the end users.

> Like Les says, if someone performs a large batch of commits to a particular branch then
the trunk revision numbers are going to leap forward (unexpectedly). So what to sell those
folks concerned about it is that they're experiencing this already.

Revision numbers aren't something you guess at or expect anything
from.  They are only useful in terms of the repository history, and it
doesn't matter if your project runs sequentially or not.   If you want
names/numbers that make human sense, you'll be copying to tags for
easier reference anyway.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com