subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: SVN Blame Returns Corrupt Data
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 14:12:51 GMT
On 11.10.2013 15:58, Bob Archer wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
>> I assume he was asking how to "fix" the blame. Cause, sure, he could open
>> the file, convert it back to UTF-8 with CRLF line endings... and commit it... of
>> course, now blame is going to show him on every line, since he just changed
>> every line.
>>
>> That's exactly what I meant.  You're correct with how the blame is handled.  I
>> committed the UTF-8 copy to a test branch, diff'd, and it showed every line
>> as being changed.  Unfortunately it looks like this is our best option.
> Yep, we have done the same thing. As a matter of fact, I just over the past few days
rescripted all our database scripts to be UTF-8 since merging them just doesn't work correctly
when they are UTF-16 even if you remove the binary mime type.

>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Ben Reser <ben@reser.org> wrote:
>> At current blame is not UTF-16 aware.
> It's not just blame that isn't... the diff engine, or whatever detects file types always
considers UTF-16 files to be binary. If you "add" a UTF-16 file you see that svn adds the
application/octet-stream mime type.  There is an issue in the bug database about this from
when I reported/complained about it... however it hasn't been addressed. I'm surprised still
at this time that svn still can't support UTF-16 text files as text wrt adding, diffing, blaming,
etc.

It's quite simple: no-one has written the necessary code. While I can
understand it's an interesting feature for Windows users, most
Subversion developers have other things to do. This being a volunteer
project, and most of us do not use Windows, you can hardly expect anyone
to spend several weeks on solving a problem that has a perfectly simple
workaround. Since UFT-8 and UTF-16 can be interchanged without data
loss, there are other, much more important things to do in Subversion.

To turn your argument around: I'm surprised no Windows user has yet
written a patch for Subversion to make it support UTF-16 ...

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data