subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: SVN Blame Returns Corrupt Data
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:58:31 GMT
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
> I assume he was asking how to "fix" the blame. Cause, sure, he could open
> the file, convert it back to UTF-8 with CRLF line endings... and commit it... of
> course, now blame is going to show him on every line, since he just changed
> every line.
>
> That's exactly what I meant.  You're correct with how the blame is handled.  I
> committed the UTF-8 copy to a test branch, diff'd, and it showed every line
> as being changed.  Unfortunately it looks like this is our best option.

Yep, we have done the same thing. As a matter of fact, I just over the past few days rescripted
all our database scripts to be UTF-8 since merging them just doesn't work correctly when they
are UTF-16 even if you remove the binary mime type.

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Ben Reser <ben@reser.org> wrote:
> At current blame is not UTF-16 aware.

It's not just blame that isn't... the diff engine, or whatever detects file types always considers
UTF-16 files to be binary. If you "add" a UTF-16 file you see that svn adds the application/octet-stream
mime type.  There is an issue in the bug database about this from when I reported/complained
about it... however it hasn't been addressed. I'm surprised still at this time that svn still
can't support UTF-16 text files as text wrt adding, diffing, blaming, etc.

BOb