subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Chapman <dcchap...@acm.org>
Subject Re: svn delete removes read-only files
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:44:44 GMT
On 11/19/2013 6:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2013, at 10:37, Rick Varney wrote:
>
>> So for Redhat 5, rm does seem to give read-only files some special
>> treatment.  The fact that rm on your OS does not makes me wonder if I am
>> wrong about how typical this behavior is in other Linux/Unix flavors.
> Both GNU rm (used on Linux) and BSD rm (used on OS X and *BSD) do this. From the BSD
rm manpage on OS X 10.9:

It's quite possible that I haven't read the rm man page since the
1980s.  :-)  Also, the only time I tend to have read-only files is when
I am running as superuser, in which case I run "rm -f" to get rid of
stuff without the prompt from the "rm -i" alias that is the default
within the superuser account.  So I have never seen the prompt.

For the record, my machines mostly run CentOS, so they have the behavior
described.  I just confirmed this by creating a read-only file in a
non-superuser account.  Guess I learned something today.

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA