subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Edward Ned Harvey (svn4)" <s...@nedharvey.com>
Subject RE: Hardware requirements for windows subversion
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:34:48 GMT

If you can run windows, you can run svn.  But to qualify that a little more:  I presume you're
asking about server requirements (not client requirements.)  I recommend using svnserve (I
believe collabnet distributes a simple installation package) I recommend svnserve if all your
access will be from an internal private LAN and you don't need per-folder ACL's and so forth.
 svnserve is very lightweight and fast, very easy to install and configure, but it's non-encrypted
so I wouldn't recommend facing it to the internet.  If you need to face the internet, you're
probably going to need to run apache and https (or svn+ssh, but I think apache https is better)...
 Configuring the encryption and all takes a lot more complexity.  So you really just need
to spec your server as if it were a web server.

Be aware, sometimes svn will need to do a long time serial processing.  So it's advantageous
for you to have more than one CPU core.