subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Kelly <dke...@hiwaay.net>
Subject Re: Looking into using Subversion
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:21:44 GMT

On Nov 18, 2013, at 9:54 AM, Chris Shelton <cshelton@shelton-family.net> wrote:

> I would suggest looking at the SVN::Notify::Mirror perl module:
> http://search.cpan.org/~jpeacock/SVN-Notify-Mirror-0.040/lib/SVN/Notify/Mirror.pm
>
> It includes a Perl script that is intended for using within a
> post-commit hook script to perform updates of a working copy after
> each commit.  I have been using it for automated deployment of code
> changes to a test web server for a few years now with generally
> reliable results.

That sort of thing can work for a single developer but what little I have heard of the O.P.'s
situation I think that solution scares me. A lot of things scare me.

First scare is that I often commit unworking or incomplete code when I have reached a milestone
that deserves a commit and a commit comment. Just because someone committed the code doesn't
mean its ready to go into production.

Secondly is more of the above. Multiple developers contributing code needs one project leader
to review everything the others have done and interaction between, and make the decision when
to tag and send to production. I think you are asking for trouble if everyone routinely automatically
pushes their work out to production without the review of another.

If developers have the problem of not having their own machine capable of executing the code
then give each developer their own working directory under the web server. Make sure everyone
understands they have to write position-independent code. No hardcoded file paths into their
own work only to well known system resources.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net