subversion-users mailing list archives

From Tony Sweeney <tswee...@omnifone.com>
Subject RE: Files added to repository by others don't come down with 'svn update'
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:36:46 GMT
For what it's worth, the FreeBSD ports for Subversion (i.e. the build harness and patches)
are freely available via Subversion at the following URLs:

svn://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/subversion
svn://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/subversion16
svn://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/subversion17

Tony.

-----Original Message-----
From: Branko ─îibej [mailto:brane@wandisco.com]
Sent: 19 January 2014 15:37
To: users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Files added to repository by others don't come down with 'svn update'

On 19.01.2014 09:06, Yuri wrote:
> In continuation of out previous discussion, I got another report that
> another user got the same files in 'deleted' state, although he never
> deleted them by hand. Same symptoms.

"Base deleted" is not the same as the file being deleted. It's been said before, but it'll
happen if you update when a file was deleted in the repository, but modified in your working
copy. This should result in a tree conflict.

> Look for the comment on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 20:56:33 -0800 in this PR:

I see here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/subversion-primer.html

that FreeBSD uses (or perhaps suggests using) a variant of Subversion with FreeBSD-specific
patches. The only reference I find to Subversion in this problem report is that there's "a
Subversion problem of some sort." Hardly helpful

> (Previously I thought that I just did something wrong, or maybe
> unconsciously hit 'resolved' option without remembering)
>
> I am pretty sure that 'svn update' marks certain files as 'deleted'
> without user ever doing 'svn delete' or resolving any conflict on them.
>
> Somebody needs to take a close look how is this is possible.

For starters, somebody can take the time to confirm that stock Subversion without FreeBSD-specific
patches behaves the same way. Sorry if that sounds a bit untrustful, but frankly, I can't
recall seeing the problem you report in any release version of Subversion, so I have my doubts.

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data