subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: ignore property not ignoring...
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 23:28:26 GMT
On 11.01.2014 00:17, Edward Ned Harvey (svn4) wrote:
>> From: Edward Ned Harvey (svn4) [mailto:svn4@nedharvey.com]
>>
>> So I have to just duplicate the svn:ignore and svn:global-ignores
>> properties everywhere that anything needs to be ignored.
> Sorry, clarification:
>
> In tortoise, I check the properties of some directory, and it shows "svn:ignore bin obj"
and some other stuff.  But it's gray.  So I assume it's inherited from a parent, and effective
at this level, and then it turns out, not to be effective.

svn:ignore only affects the directory on which it is defined, not its
children.

>   I go to command prompt, and I see in fact, those properties are set on the root directory,
and *not* on the subdirectory.  I don't know why it's displaying grayed out, but if I explicitly
set that property on that directory, then it works.

> So I guess this is mostly a usage issue.  I could go talk to the tortoise folks about
why it's showing gray, when it's not effective...

In 1.8, all properties are inheritable. Of course, Tortoise could be
smart enough to know the meaning of the standard properties, but from
the point of view of strict semantics, it's correct.

>  And I could complain that when you click on "add to ignores" the default is now to use
global-ignores rather than ignore...  But it's not worth it.

That choice is a bit harder to argue for. :)

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data