subversion-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com>
Subject Re: Locking whole directories
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:22:28 GMT
> On Jan 15, 2014, at 9:39 AM, Ben Reser <ben@reser.org> wrote:
>
>> On 1/13/14, 7:02 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>> I understand that implementing this would require all commits to search
>> for lock properties on every ancestor of every changed file or
>> directory. It essentially amounts to an extension of inheritable
>> properties to the RA layer. Which would be pretty neat, IMO. :)
>
> Well not really.  Locks aren't a property so none of the inheritable properties
> work helps here.  Inheritable properties also already have RA support (which is
> a big reason to prefer a 1.8 server to be used with a 1.8 client since the RA
> support is much more efficient than walking the tree).

Oh, well this is a very good thing to learn. It means that a certain tool I want to create
will be much easier to write.

> DAV already has support for recursive locks (including locks) on directories.
> So we'd shouldn't need any new protocol changes for DAV.  Presumably we can
> come up with something efficient for svnserve.

To be clear, this isn't implying that `svn lock` of a directory will work over DAV, correct?
Just that the repository supports storing the fact that some other DAV client has LOCKed a
directory, and the DAV protocol layer supports communicating that information back to the
`svn` client?

>> Shall I file a feature request?
>
> Surprised we don't already have a feature request for directory locks already.
> So please do so.
>
> Understand that filing an issue doesn't mean it's going to be immediately
> worked on.

Will do. I might even hack on this a little bit myself.

--Kyle Sluder