subversion-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Import history from a second repository
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 07:35:10 GMT
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote on Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 22:23:22 -0400:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt
> <subversion-2014@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> > I've been developing a new feature of a public project in secret, in my own private
Subversion repository. It's almost entirely new code in a new directory. There's only one
file that's based on an existing file, and it's been heavily rewritten.

> > There will come a time when I will want to publish this new code to the project's
public Subversion repository. At that time, I could export the code from my private repository
and import it to the public one, but this would lose my history. Is there a way to preserve
the history -- replay the revisions in order somehow? Other developers of this public project
seem to be doing so, but I believe they are making their modifications locally in git clones
of the public Subversion repository, and then using git-svn to later commit the revisions
to the public Subversion repository. I have not used git-svn and am not comfortable using
git which is why I did not attempt this method.

> The git-svn toolkit actually works well for this. It's vital for
> environments where you want to record changes locally and don't have
> write access to the shared repository. I've been hesitant to mention
> this sort of approach to avoid irritating our core Subversion
> developers, but it's been invaluable to some of my work.

For the record, the Subversion developers don't think that svn is the
hammer to every nail.  Some problems are better solved by rsync or git
or tar, and when such a problem comes around, "Subversion is not the
right tool for the job" is a perfectly acceptable answer.