subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Subversion Windows Performance compared to Linux
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 15:23:28 GMT
On 28.04.2014 17:06, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> "Mostly read-only" would be a pretty good description of mature
>> project maintenance - which in my experience is where most developer
>> time goes.
>>

>> You're confusing the contents of versioned files with working copy metadata.
>> The latter is never mostly read-only; even a simple "svn update" that
>> doesn't change any working file can modify lots of metadata, and this is
>> where locking is involved.
> Will the subversion performance issue affect local storage that is
> exported via nfs or just the clients mounting it remotely?

It's not a Subversion performance issue, it's an NFS performance and
correctness issue; let's not confuse issues here. :)

That said, simultaneous local and (NFS) remote access to the same
working copy is an extremely bad idea; it makes triggering the NFS
atomicity bug far more likely.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion