subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion 1.8 freezes during long updates
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2014 23:11:26 GMT
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Butler, Stephen
<Stephen.Butler@hamburgsud.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to help users in our corporate network.  They currently use Subversion 1.7
+ neon (via TortoiseSVN) because of errors in checkout/update using Subversion 1.8.  During
a long checkout or update, TortoiseSVN 1.8 freezes after downloading a few hundred MBs of
data.  The svn command-line client does the same.

Are your users on CIFS shares, or other network shares? CIFS has
turned out to be pretty chatty, and I've certainly seen issues with
significantly earlier versions of Subversion when directories willed
with hundreds or thousands of files made it perform like a dog or even
overwhelmed it. Do your users benefit from making their working copies
on a local disk, then simply replicating it to a CIFS share?

> To get more information, I compiled Subversion (within the TortoiseSVN branches/1.8.x
tree) with serf tracing turned up to eleven (SSL_MSG_VERBOSE, etc).   Then the errors no longer
occur!  Apparently the extra output changes the timing somehow.  But performance is of course
very bad.  Less tracing recreates the errors, but without revealing a smoking gun.

See above. Did you download *to the same location*?