subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: unversioned properties: size limitations?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 04:59:20 GMT
On 12.08.2014 03:31, Alexey Neyman wrote:

> Hi SVN users/developers,
>

> Is there a limitation in size on the property value that can be set?
> Any scalability traps to be aware of (i.e. non-linear increase in time
> due to increase in size of the property value)? I tried a 4Mb
> property, seems to work fine...

One thing to be aware of is that properties were never designed to be
large. Property values are always transmitted in full text between
client and server (i.e., they're not compressed); they're stored in full
text in the repository (not deltified the way file contents are). So the
more large properties you have, and the more often you modify them, the
less efficient your repository will be, in terms of storage requirements
and network bandwidth.

So while you should be able to store a 2 gig property value, I really,
really recommend not to do that.

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco | Realising the impossibilities of Big Data