subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: subversion won’t add new files
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:41:01 GMT

On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:14 AM, John Maher wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  Not sure why you wish to post opinions or think it's clear when
the book says "Send changes from your working copy to the repository" when I make a change
in my working copy and it is ignored.  Don't take it personal if a user does not understand
something.  And just because you understand something does not make it clear.  It just makes
it clear to you.

> But none the less, thank you for explaining the weird behavior, it was very helpful.

Tone is not always easy to infer in email, but I'm not taking anything personally. I am just
a Subversion user, just like you; this list is for Subversion users to help other Subversion
users use and understand the software. In my case, I have about 10 years of experience using
Subversion, which is why I mentioned my opinions about the tool and its documentation. I understand
you're frustrated that the tool isn't working the way you expected, which is why I wanted
to give you the benefit of my experience to let you know that Subversion is in fact a quality
tool, but like other complex software, it is important to understand how it works, which is
what the Subversion Book and other documentation (and this list) are there to help you with.

The passage you quoted, "Send changes from your working copy to the repository", is from Chapter
9 of the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.ref.svn.c.commit.html

This is a very late section of the book, supposed to give you a quick reminder of specific
commands, after you've already learned how to use the tool; it's not an appendix though it
might as well be. To learn how to use the tool, read the earlier chapters of the book, such
as Chapter 1: Fundamental Concepts and Chapter 2: Basic Usage.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.basic.html

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.tour.html

Hopefully this will give you a good understanding of how to use Subversion effectively and
you'll come to enjoy using it as much as I do.

You can also send feedback about the book to its authors; their contact information is on
the book's main page:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com