subversion-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Different behaviour of storing plaintext passwords under Unix - svn log differes from svn co/up
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:03:37 GMT
Bert Huijben wrote on Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 21:56:11 +0000:
> Does your server support anonymous read only connections?
>

> If it allows those, it is completely expected that it doesn't use a
> password for authorizing things like log… and therefore never
> updates/stores passwords in that case.

... and if you want the full log, a easy workaround is to set up a
second <Location>, for the same repository, that doesn't permit
anonymous access.

Daniel

> Bert

if I execute svn commands like checkout or update, but not for a simple ‘svn log’ command:

> -       the password file in auth/svn.simple were not generated
>
> -       strangely I was asked if I want to store the hostkey certificate which worked
seemlessly

> -       when using a ‘svn update’ or ‘svn checkout’ the expected behaviour was
seen (prompt for saving or save automatically)

> Usually this is not detected as one of the first calls are update or checkout commands,
but I used here some scripting using ‘svn log’ and was wondering why my password was never
updated, no matter where I changed the save-plaintext-passwords settings (/etc/subversion/servers
or ~/.subversion/servers, global section or specific local server sections).

> I assume this is a bug or at least a strange feature. Normally I would expect that the
same authentication procedure is used for all the remote svn commands which require authentication
against the server.