subversion-users mailing list archives

From Griffin Myers <griffin.my...@baesystems.com>
Subject RE: Why does svn patch fail for externals on add/delete?
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:21:37 GMT
That would be great if this could be tracked as a bug and eventually fixed.

For me it was very confusing that a modify operation would succeed but an add/delete would
not, but this could just be a lack of low level svn understanding on my part particularly
as it pertains to locks.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Sperling [mailto:stsp@elego.de]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 10:01 AM
To: Bert Huijben
Cc: Griffin Myers; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Why does svn patch fail for externals on add/delete?

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 02:47:59PM +0000, Bert Huijben wrote:
> The problem here is that patch locks only one working copy, but your patch tries to change
multiple working copies. (Directory externals are separate working copies). This is a scenario
that was never designed for patch.

I see no reason it couldn't be made to work, though.
svn patch could grab the lock on the external as well, couldn't it?
I don't see why not.

If so, I (original author of svn patch) think this warrants an issue in our bug tracker.