subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Andreas Stieger" <Andreas.Stie...@gmx.de>
Subject Aw: Best Practices for Creating a New Branch
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2014 15:32:25 GMT
Hi,

> [best practice for creating a new branch]

svn cp and the Tortoise equivalent are... well... equivalent:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.using.html#svn.branchmerge.using.create
http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-branchtag.html#tsvn-dug-branch-1

> My Manager, and old school Linux guy, uses the command line and creates
> a copy which has resulted in the "does not share common version control
> ancestry with the requested switch location." message several times?

How exactly does that happen? The message is shown when doing what?
Should not happen if you do it correctly using either of the above.

With kind regards,
Andreas Stieger