subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Copy and Reduce the size of SVn repos
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 04:33:14 GMT

On Mar 7, 2015, at 10:57 PM, Rajesh Kumar wrote:

> I have one Huge SVN repos which is around 1TB in terms of size. I have two requirement
as follows and i would like to know the best approach to be followed to save time and effort.

> 1.    Duplicating the whole repos of 1TB in shorter span of time and create another SVN
repos.

> 2.    How to reduce the Repos size drastically without impacting the integrity and version
of the files? Here my repos size is 1TB and i want to make it smaller without deleting any
files? what are the ways of doing so.....?

How long has your repository been in operation? With what version of Subversion did you create
it originally?

I ask because newer versions of Subversion store revisions more efficiently than older versions.
If your repository was created with, say, Subversion 1.4, and you dump it and load the dump
into a new repository created by Subversion 1.8, it will probably be smaller on disk, while
containing exactly the same data. There may also be settings you can set in the new repository
(before loading) that would make it even smaller.