subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to reset svn password by svn user ?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:38:25 GMT
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM, Andreas Stieger <andreas.stieger@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 05.03.2015 03:48 schrieb Mohsin <mohsinchandia@gmail.com>:
>>
>> >Well, as an example, if your Subversion server is setup to authenticate via
>> Active Directory the user would >change their windows password.  If it is
>> setup to authenticate against a text file with names and passwords, >then
>> someone has to edit the text file.
>> >
>> >It depends on the authentication method you are using.
>>

>> We have configured svn with Apache web server (mod_dav,mod_dav_svn) and
>> using DAV method for repository access.
>
> Refer to the documentation for httpd auth module you are using. You change the password
the same way as you created it. This is usually named htpasswd, htpasswd2 or similar.

> How to make this user self-servicable is out of scope for Subversion as it uses common
and adaptable auth methods, including directory services.

Talk to your mod_dav hosting provider. There are a *gazillion* ways to
authenticate Subversion on mod_dav, many of which are grotesquely
insecure. I wonder if your provider might benefit from hopping up here
and asking some security questions if they don't already know? I'd
actually consider "securiing a Subversion service" to be on topic.