subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Stohr, Alexander" <Alexander.St...@HDLE.com>
Subject AW: REELLER PRICE FOR SUB VERSION .. CLient ...Wipro
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:35:30 GMT
Hello SUSHMA,

I am only a mailing list subscriber and user of SVN.
But I hope I can provide you hints & the answers you need:

·         When I run "svn -version" I get amongst other information, these lines (sorry,
it's German - if in need for e.g. English version then then re-run it on your machine)

svn, Version 1.8.5 (r1542147)
   Übersetzt am Nov 16 2013, um 16:17:52 auf x86-microsoft-windows
Copyright (C) 2013 The Apache Software Foundation.
Diese Software besteht aus Beiträgen vieler Personen;
siehe Datei NOTICE für weitere Informationen.
Subversion ist Open Source Software, siehe http://subversion.apache.org/

(this hints for the build and variant, tells for where to look for the copyright owners and
that SVN is Open Source Software.)

·         When I am visiting the subversion page on the apache site, I am reading this:

Copyright © 2011 The Apache Software Foundation<http://www.apache.org/>, Licensed under
the Apache License, Version 2.0<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>.
Apache, Apache Subversion, and the Apache feather logo are trademarks of The Apache Software
Foundation.
Subversion and the Apache Subversion logo are registered trademarks of The Apache Software
Foundation.

·         When visiting this page http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 I am getting
the license details - most important might be this clause:

2. Grant of Copyright License.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You
a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license
to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense,
and distribute
the Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

(item 3 on patents might be of some interest for certain people as well)

·         Looking into the installation folders of SVN (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Subversion\licenses
)
you can find this main license to SVN itself (there are some third party sub-modules with
deviating licenses but these are free as well):

Apache License
Version 2.0, January 2004
http://www.apache.org/licenses/
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE, REPRODUCTION, AND DISTRIBUTION

The "official" rationale is already long term part of the heading paragraph of the start page
from SVN home page:
"Subversion is an open source version control system."

My personal "uneducated" guess from all that I have seen & remembered now is:
Subversion is free to download (only your efforts & internet access might raise you some
minimal cost) _and_ free to use for anyone.
Subversion does qualify as what is commonly called free & open source software (FOSS -
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software ).
Such software has no need for individual buying of per-unit/user/time-span/location/company
licenses, no charges and no fees or whatever is similar to it.

But you might feel free (no obligation, no plight) to find a contractor of your choice for
any sort of supplementary duties like services, support & training. (There are offers.)
In many cases the average software developers will not need any such extra expenses. Please
discuss any such needs with your engineers.
Self-service definitely works nice, e.g. by using the provided manuals. Also there is the
internet, e.g. search engines & the mailing list that provides quite good support.

Regards, Alex.