subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with very old repo format (version 1)
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 04:01:48 GMT
On 28.04.2015 23:03, Andrew Reedick wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips on how to upgrade a very old repo?  The db/format lists "1".
 A 1.8 svn client cannot hotcopy, dump or "svnadmin upgrade" such an old repo, all of which
fail with "svnadmin: E720002: Can't open file 'devel\db\current': The system cannot find the
file specified."

> Do I need find a really old svn client (1.3?) and upgrade?  Do I need to manually create
the db/current file?

> Supposedly , a format of "1" is from pre-svn 1.0.  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_repos/repos.h
-> "Formats 0, 1 and 2 were pre-1.0."

Are we talking about the repository format or the FSFS format here? If
<repos>/db/fs-type says "fsfs" then the repository format
(<repos>/format) is probably 3 and you're talking about
<repos>/db/format, yes? The distinction is important.

In any case, 1.8 /should/ be able to dump an FSFSv1 repository, and the
<repos>/db/current file should exists; it's been around since FSFSv1.
You can try recreating it; the format is described here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/structure

To find the youngest revision, look for the highest-numered file in
<repos>/db/revs. If you're just going to dump the repository, it should
be safe to set the next-node-id and next-copy-id to some large number,
say 999999; but I wouldn't recommend trying to commit to the repository.

Please report if the above works or I'm just talking through my hat. :)

-- Brane