subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with very old repo format (version 1)
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 05:32:13 GMT
On 29.04.2015 07:14, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
lists "1".  A 1.8 svn client cannot hotcopy, dump or "svnadmin upgrade" such an old repo,
all of which fail with "svnadmin: E720002: Can't open file 'devel\db\current': The system
cannot find the file specified."

manually create the db/current file?

-> "Formats 0, 1 and 2 were pre-1.0."
>>> Why can't you do a fresh working copy, and copy all files except those
>>> in '.svn' subdirectories?
>> Without db/current, he can't perform a checkout, and if he could and
>> just copied the file, he'd be throwing away all history.
> What? "hotcopy", "dump", and "svnadmin upgrade" are all operations on
> the repository itself. The database *of the repository* is irrelevant
> to fresh checkouts, as long as they can speak any relevant network
> protocols associated with the old service.

You proposed copying "all files except those in .svn directories" from a
fresh checkout. This implies actually doing a checkout, which you can't
do if your repository is corrupt, and it's corrupt if it's a FSFS repo
without a db/current file. It's irrelevant whether you're doing a
checkout from a local repository or over the network or via git-svn or
whatever.

-- Brane