subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Reedick <jreed...@incomm.com>
Subject RE: Dealing with very old repo format (version 1)
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:21:35 GMT

says "fsfs" then the repository format
> (<repos>/format) is probably 3 and you're talking about <repos>/db/format,
yes? The distinction is important.

Yes, I'm referring to db/* files.
	$ more format  fs-type
	::::::::::::::
	format
	::::::::::::::
	1
	::::::::::::::
	fs-type
	::::::::::::::
	fsfs

> In any case, 1.8 /should/ be able to dump an FSFSv1 repository, and the <repos>/db/current
file should exists; it's been around since FSFSv1.
> You can try recreating it; the format is described here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/structure
>
> To find the youngest revision, look for the highest-numered file in <repos>/db/revs.
If you're just going to dump the repository, it should be safe to set the next-node-id and
next-copy-id to some large number, say 999999; but I wouldn't recommend trying to commit to
the repository.

> Please report if the above works or I'm just talking through my hat. :)
>
> -- Brane

Good News:  Recreating the db/current file worked in that it allowed 'svnadmin dump' to run.

Bad News:  However, it seems that I have bigger issues:
	* Dumped revision 109662.
	svnadmin: E720002: Can't open file 'devel_copy\db\revprops\109663': The system cannot find
the file specified.

When I sort the files in db/revs numerically, I see gaps in the revs:
	109661
	109662
	109668
	109734
	109735
	157939
	157940
	157941
	159433
	159607
	160600
	160601
	162409
And 'ls | wc -l' in dev/revs shows that there are 141,768 files, but the highest rev in db/revs
is 162409...

*sigh*  I guess I can try piecemeal dumps.

Thanks for the help everyone, but I'm thinking my missing db/current file is a symptom of
the repo being mangled (probably due to inadequate backup procedures or a bad restore from
tape.   Rev 1 is from 2006, and the repo was just around for reference so no real worries.)