subversion-users mailing list archives

From jbl...@icloud.com
Subject Re: Protected/secure SVN
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 15:57:37 GMT

> On May 12, 2015, at 8:45 AM, jblist@icloud.com wrote:
>

>> On May 12, 2015, at 5:30 AM, D Ste <djiratest@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to set up SVN to store confidential documents.
>> I have secured the pipe communication with HTTPS/SSL.  To avoid unauthorized users
(even with root access) accessing documents from within the server, I would like to protect
the SVN linux folder/files with encryption.

>> Are there any ways to secure the SVN using protected folders or encryption? So only
authorized users can access these confidential documents.

>> Thanks in advance for your helps.
>>

> You could encrypt the documents before commiting them into the repository, but that would
eliminate the benefit of storing deltas and being able to perform comparisons between revisions
even for authorized users.

> For file-level encryption, I would recommend something like GnuPG. You would need to
build into your workflow the encryption/decryption steps from within your working copies.
It will be cumbersome at best.

Also, even if there were a server-side encryption possible, the encryption key would need
to be stored on the server itself. Since you are in a situation where you cannot trust your
system administrators, who would have access to the key as well, your purpose would be defeated
by such a configuration. Therefore, you are limited to client-side encryption. To avoid the
other problems of shared-key encryption systems, your best bet is asymmetric encryption.