subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Pemberton, Philip" <Philip.Pember...@imi-precision.com>
Subject Long filename issues with SVN 1.8.13 on Windows 7
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 15:39:57 GMT
Hi,

I'm having a problem with Subversion 1.8.13's svnversion utility.

We have a build script here which takes the project checkout path, converts it to the DOS-style
path (e.g. if you pass in C:\Program Files, you get C:\PROGRA~1 out) to prevent issues with
long filenames later on, and then uses svn's svnversion utility to find out what the current
rev is. This is then poked into a C source file which is then compiled and linked into our
binary.

The problem is, svnversion doesn't seem to like it when you have a directory whose "long"
filename is actually shorter than its 8.3 path. For instance, when we did a checkout of our
"V0.9.22" tag into C:\V0.9.22:
C:\Users\...>svnversion C:\V0.9.22
8943M
C:\Users\...>svnversion C:\V09~1.22
'C:\V0.9.222' doesn't exist
Rev numbers and usernames have been changed to protect the innocent, but you get the idea.

"svn info", on the other hand, seems to work fine with either path. It's only "svnversion"
which seems to have problems.

Am I doing something silly or have I just stumbled across a fairly subtle SVN bug?

Thanks,

Philip Pemberton
Software Development Engineer
IMI Precision Engineering

Tel: +44 (0) 113 245 7587
Direct Dial: +44 (0) 113 217 2306
Email: philip.pemberton@imi-precision.com<mailto:philip.pemberton@imi-precision.com>
Web: www.imi-precision.com

[http://cdn.norgren.com/images/email-banners/no-logo/running-nologo-en.jpg]

________________________________

[http://cdn.norgren.com/images/email/imi-precision-engineering.gif]

Norgren Limited, Cross Chancellor Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS6 2RT, UK

Registered in England No. 564656

________________________________

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or publish
its contents, delete it and notify us immediately by contacting postmaster@imi-precision.com
and/or the sender via return email. This email does not form part of a legally binding contract
or agreement between the recipient and the sender. Messages sent via this medium may be subject
to delays, non-delivery and unauthorised alteration. All transmitted email has been prepared
using information believed by the author to be reliable, accurate, and virus free. Although
the mail item will have been checked for viruses, we cannot accept any responsibility for
any consequential or any other losses due to transmitted viruses. The sender makes no warranty
as to accuracy or completeness. In particular, the sender does not accept responsibility for
changes made to email after being sent. Any opinions or recommendations expressed are solely
those of the author and may be subject to change without notice. The sender may monitor email
traffic data.