subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Ask for informations
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2015 13:04:31 GMT
Please use the Reply All function when you reply, so that the conversation stays on the mailing
list.

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 3:49 AM, Clément Bacouelle wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> I am so happy to have answers,
> So my questions are quite simple,
> With my colleagues and managers, we thought to criterias we need for our configuration
management so I would like to know how your tools answer to that need and if possible with
details (« we do that but … » or « we don’t do this especially but it’s possible
to get around with this other functionality »)So here is the criteria with few words about
what we think behind it.

> - Archiving of version
>     Be able to archive the version when she’s not active anymore.
> - Release management
>     Automation deployment in multiple servers, test before deployment…
> - Version management
>     Be able to identify all the versions, the components in it. Be able to know where
the version are deploy.
> - Change management
> - Branching
> - Global visualisation of the changes
> - Requirements tracking in the version
>     Be able to attach some requirements to the version.
> - Dependencies between versions
>     Be able to link versions with dependencies. If a version are not deploy, the deployment
of the other version can’t be proceed.
> - Technological plurality
>     Here is the fundamental point of my study. The big problem who bothers us in the
SCM tool selection, is the Technological plurality. Indeed, we deal with JAVA, Mainframe,
and possibly others languages in one software version. So how your tool deal with this ? If
I'm not clear enough, I'd love to explain a little more my thought
> - Cost of the solution
>
> Thanks again for your help, it will be extremely
> Best regards,
> Clément.

We don't want to repeat information that's already available elsewhere. A lot of effort was
put into creating a well-written book all about Subversion; I suggest you start by reading
its "What is Subversion?" section:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.intro.whatis.html

As it says there in the first sentence, Subversion is free, so you can download it and try
it out and see if it meets your needs.