subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: Bug report: The auto-props setting of svn:mime-type is impossible to avoid.
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:32:26 GMT
On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:52:33PM +0200, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
> I would maybe suggest introducing an option for disabling the entire
> automatic property subsystem, i.e. it combines both of these, and
> overrides them.  This is an interesting thought experiment - devise
> any name for such a top level automatic property override - and this
> should convincingly demonstrate the confusion that the current setting
> names induces.

I think that would just make the situation worse by adding to
the current mess.

I agree the documentation needs to be improved. Would you have time
to update the documentation and send patches for it?

> The problem with the svn:mime-type block is that for svn clients <
> 1.9, 'svn import' can never work.  Specifically because the libmagic
> layer overwrites any user decision to disable automatic properties.

There's another trick to disable libmagic which works with all
client versions. I just tested it with 1.8.

Set the MAGIC environment variable to a file which does not exist.

  env MAGIC=/nonexistent svn import ...

This effectively disabled libmagic support.