subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: how to integrate a zip based archive into svn
Date Sun, 18 Oct 2015 09:49:58 GMT

On Oct 18, 2015, at 3:09 AM, Eckard Klotz wrote:

> My question is associated with setting up a new SVN archive for an old project without
loosing the old file-versions.

> Even I'm programming  for nearly 20 years and have a open source project for nearly 10
years I'm new in SVN. Until now I have archived my project by zipping my source folder.
> Now I wonder if there is a way supported by SVN to transfer every zip file as one revision
into a new fresh SVN archive. It is clear to me that this will not contain the automatic creation
of comments. But having a archive that contains the historical files and that allows me to
step back to earlier revisions would be helpful.

Subversion itself doesn't have such a feature built-in, but you can use a script to do it.
That's what I did, years ago, when I first adopted Subversion. The script is called svn_load_dirs.pl

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs/

The procedure is:

- Create a Subversion repository.

- Create any directory structure in the repository that you need. For example, if this repository
will house a single project, create the directories trunk, branches and tags. If the repository
will house multiple projects, create a directory for the project name, then inside that create
the trunk, branches and tags directories.

- Decompress the archive of the very first version of your project, and import that folder
into the trunk folder.

- Tag the trunk with the version number of the version that you imported. Meaning: "svn copy"
trunk to tags/1.0 or whatever the version number is.

- For each subsequent version you want to import, decompress the archive, and use svn_load_dirs.pl
to import and tag that version.