subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Andreas Stieger" <Andreas.Stie...@gmx.de>
Subject Aw: https / ssl performance, 1.8
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:02:29 GMT
Hi,

Gerard Weatherby wrote:
> We've used server version 1.6 with svnserve on an existing project and it works great.
(All teams members are inside firewall)

> We have a new project with outside collaborations and some not open source code, so we
set up https:// Mod Dav using apache2 and pwauth for validation -- we have other resources
and prefer using the same authentication for all for simplicity.

> It "works" but the performance makes it nearly unusable. Monitoring the server using
the top linux utility indicates many, many invocations of "pwauth" for a single client request.
The next thing I was going to try was to install an sssd daemon on the server, but I wanted
to ask if there was anything else I was missing.
> [...]
> LoadModule authnz_external_module modules/mod_authnz_external.so
> DefineExternalAuth pwauth pipe /usr/bin/pwauth
>
> <LocationMatch "/(mediawiki|repos|developer)/">
>
>     # Require SSL connection for password protection.
>     SSLRequireSSL
>
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "realm name"
>     AuthBasicProvider external
>     AuthExternal pwauth
>     require valid-user
>
> </LocationMatch>

The many invocations are expected with DefineExternalAuth. Svn uses many http connections
for a single operations. Maybe you would like to choose one of the more integrated authentication
methods available with Apache httpd. As you would like to retain pwauth, mod_auth_pam comes
to mind.

Andreas