subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: Issue with browsing a SVN 1.9.2, schema 7, packed, repository
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 14:04:43 GMT
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 01:41:40PM +0100, Stefan Fuhrmann wrote:
> 0x40000015 is basically an "abort".  We do this when we need
> more memory but can't get it.
>
> 9000 directory entries is around the capacity of the default
> cache configuration (16MB).  Make sure, you set the cache to
> at least 100MB ("SVNInMemoryCacheSize 102400" in httpd.conf)
> but NOT larger than 1GB in case you are using 32 bit Apache.
>
> Set "MaxMemFree" in httpd.conf to something like 4096.  The
> default of 0 is problematic.

Would it be feasible to avoid crashing when the cache is misconfigured,
or even set to the default setting, so users see a performance drop
instead of a crash?

I know our code is very lazy about checking allocations in general (which
I don't like, but that's besides the point). In this context some additional
effort into avoiding crashes would be a worthwhile investment.