subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Regarding install and running svn1.9.2 for svnserve and http access in browser
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 18:34:47 GMT

On Dec 17, 2015, at 8:09 AM, arun prasath wrote:

> I have situation which needs your suggestion and help in setting up the svn1.9.2 with
svnserve + http access in browser. My below talks about my svn setup.
> SVN working method:
> After installation, the svn://servername/reponame is working. But http://servername/reponame
is not working and give the HTTP 404 error.

> Problem Description:
> Am i missing something. I know Svn Apache modules are required for http access but i
am running svnserve for client access and no Apache httpd is installed. For http access i
have installed Serf library.

> Expected :
> - What are required for running svn1.9.2 as svnserve daemon (with http support in browser)
> -Is just serf library is not enough to serve http through svnserve
> -how to pass the httpd modules to during subversion install

Apache + mod_dav_svn is required to serve a Subversion repository over http (or https). You
can run this simultaneously with svnserve for serving the repository over the svn protocol,
provided you set up permissions/ownership properly. There's documentation in the book. However,
I'm not sure what benefit there is to offering multiple access methods. For example, if you
want to serve the repository over http via Apache + mod_dav_svn, then why also run svnserve?

serf is the library the svn client uses to access a repository that is being served by Apache
+ mod_dav_svn.