Sorry for late reply.

regards,
Arun

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Andreas Stieger <Andreas.Stieger@gmx.de> wrote:
Hello,

Yes the dump can be significantly larger than the repository size, due to delta encoding used in the on-disk representation. If you examine revision 120 I am sure you will fine a particularly complex change that would cause this, and your statement about 120 being larger than normal is in line with that.

This is not a problem, it is simply expected behaviour. If the size of the dumpstream is a problem for you, you can use "--deltas" to reduce size of the dump stream.

If things are slow for you, specify a memory cache size (e.g. 1-2 GB if you have it) to speed up operations.

  -M [--memory-cache-size] ARG : size of the extra in-memory cache in MB used to
                             minimize redundant operations. Default: 16.
                             [used for FSFS repositories only]

You can use svnsync for a more transparent migration. I am not sure how rsync should be relevant or useful here when doing dumps anyway.

Andreas

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. November 2015 um 10:25 Uhr
Von: "arun prasath" <get2arun@gmail.com>
An: users@subversion.apache.org
Betreff: SVN 1.6.17 dump is growing larger than repository size (approx. more than 10 times)
Hello Team,

I am creating Subversion 1.6.17 dump for a repository hosted in Linux server. SVNSERVE is serving the repository. We are migrating to SVN 1.9.2.

While creating the dump for repository of size 1.8 GB (revisions 3000+), the dump command completes revision 119 and hangs and keep updating the dumpfile which grows to 7-8 GBs. dump command is not moving to next revision but kept updating the dump file. So, i just closed the putty to stop creating the dump.

However, I ran the svnadmin verify which completes revision 119 and take some time to verify revision 120 and complete the verification successfully for all the repository revisions.

Since, there is no error output I have no logs to attach. Please suggest the work around for this situation. How can create the dump and migrate to target server. I am planning to use rsync from the server. I will post how it goes.

I am expecting the workaround to this situation and let me know if this is a known issue in SVN 1.6.17. This is my active repository and created the dump without stopping the svnserve program in the production server.

Thanks,
Arun