subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Watson, Paul" <pwat...@phs.org>
Subject Merging fixes from a branch?
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:44:43 GMT
We are using Subversion 1.7. I am trying to document a hotfix methodology. The project has
the traditional "TTB" directories.

app/trunk
app/tags/1.0
app/tags/1.1
app/branches

1.1 is deployed and running in production when a problem occurs. We cannot tag the current
trunk and deploy since developers have been making changes and adding features since 1.1 was
tagged.

It seems that making a branch from app/tags/1.1 to app/branches/1.1_hotfix is the right thing
to do. Then, 1.1_hotfix can be checked out, changed, tested, checked back in, and deployed
to production. Ok so far?

How can the 1.1_hotfix changes be merged back into the trunk? Using 'svn up' does not appear
to recognize trunk changes. I assume this is because 1.1_hotfix came from tags/1.1 and not
trunk. Is that correct?

I am expecting the same problems from 'svn merge' and 'svn merge --reintegrate'. I do -not-
want to change tags/1.1 which should remain golden. From the red book:

" The second form is called a “reintegrate merge” and is used to bring changes from a
feature branch (SOURCE) back into the feature
branch's immediate ancestor branch (TARGET_WCPATH)."

I am seeking to get the changes back into mainline trunk development. Is this possible? Should
I not want to do this?
*-*-*- PRESBYTERIAN_HEALTHCARE_SERVICES_DISCLAIMER -*-*-*

This message originates from Presbyterian Healthcare Services or one of its affiliated organizations.
It contains information, which may be confidential or privileged, and is intended only for
the
individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute
or use the contents of this message. All personal messages express views solely of the sender,
which are
not to be attributed to Presbyterian Healthcare Services or any of its affiliated organizations,
and may not
be distributed without this disclaimer. If you received this message in error, please notify
us immediately
at info@phs.org.

If you would like more information about Presbyterian Healthcare Services please visit our
web site

http://www.phs.org