subversion-users mailing list archives

From Joseph Bruni <jbl...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: SVN
Date Fri, 27 May 2016 19:57:04 GMT

On May 26, 2016, at 10:09 PM, PERRY JENNINGS <PJENNINGS@FAMILYDOLLAR.com> wrote:

SVN Source Code Manager,
Family Dollar has implemented SVN and about sixty percent of projects within the organization
currently uses this repository to maintain source code for object-oriented applications. However,
the remaining forty percent of source code within the organization cannot use SVN because
the code is for non-object-oriented applications ; hence a single file, not a project needs
to be checked in and out of the repository.  So my question is: Are you aware of a client
that could be used to checkout and checkin a single file to the SVN repository and maintain
the version number of the source code that is checked in?   If not, do you know if SVN has
the single file checkout and checkin feature?

We do the same thing for the database SQL scripts, stored procedure code, and various one-off
Perl programs. Source control systems like SVN (or Git) don't really lend themselves directly
to this type of object. We do use SVN, but layered a lot of process on top of it to keep ourselves
somewhat sane.

I can imagine someone could build a nice single-file revision control system on top of SVN,
but it would require a new type of client that would hide the directory revisioning from
the user.