subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Restoring a Bad Dump
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2016 03:33:51 GMT

On Jul 11, 2016, at 9:06 PM, John Cook wrote:

> It's a long story, but I have a large (13 gig) subversion dump file that was taken at
the wrong "level".  That is, there were several different repositories on the server like
this:

> /repositories/repo_1
> /repositories/repo_2
> /repositories/repo_3
>
> The dump file was generated from the "/repositories" level like so:
>
> svnadmin dump /repositories > /backup/subversion.dump
>
> Obviously, svnadmin is pretty unhappy with this dump file.  I have tried a couple of
dump-reading utilities -- "svn-dump2dir" and "svndumptool" -- and I might be able to eventually
get one to work, but I thought I'd ask this group, have any of you ran into this situation
before?  Is it possible to restore this dump?  I don't really care about the history, the
most recent version of the files would be great.

If /repositories is just a normal filesystem directory (created with "mkdir /repositories"),
then attempting to use svnadmin dump on /repositories should have immediately exited with
an error message like:

svnadmin: E000002: Can't open file '/repositories/format': No such file or directory

The fact that this did not happen for you, but instead a dump file was created, suggests that
/repositories is not just a filesystem directory but is itself a repository (created with
"svnadmin create /repositories". You can verify this by checking whether the file /repositories/format
exists and by running "svn info file:///repositories"

When you say that svnadmin is unhappy with the dump file, what exactly does it do?