subversion-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Migrating old format repositories (format 4), running into bad line endings
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 00:25:21 GMT
Eric Johnson wrote on Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 14:29:47 -0700:
>  * // move original repo out of the way, move new copy into position.

At the comma you should restart the server to flush caches:

    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-users/201606.mbox/%3c20160609125706.GA4020@tarsus.local2%3e

> Is there any particular reason that the "dump/load" process doesn't fix the
> line-endings? Shouldn't it?

'load' could transform CRs, yes, but that might need to be optional to
keep the "verbatim round-trip" possibility.

> Why have the --bypass-prop-validation option?
> Why not just fix the line endings? As it is now, the dump-load process is
> effectively broken, because I have one of two seemingly poor choices: I can
> either "bypass validation" (that sounds bad), or I simply keep the old
> format.

"Bypass" just means the existing values in the dumpfile will be
used verbatim.  Using this option makes the loaded repository be in the
same situation of the original 1.4 repository: a high-level invariant
("svn:* uses LF") does not hold, but the lower-level data format
invariants do hold.  In short, if you use this option you're postponing
the problem but not making your situation any worse.

Cheers,

Daniel

P.S. Feel free to file an issue about making 'load' transform CR in
svn:* nodeprops and revprops pointing to this thread.