subversion-users mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: Implementing the Lock->Edit->Unlock cycle
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 16:40:23 GMT
Hi Anton,

On 9/28/16 8:46 AM, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> We  are migrating to SVN from the dreaded SourceSafe
> and should like to retain, if only at the start, the
> exclusive  check-out  process,  with  the  following
> *atomic* operations which  should  be  performed  as
> easily as possible:
>
>    1.  lock and update,
>        lest  one  might accidentally start editing an
>        old version of some file.
Subversion supports locks. However, it sounds like they do not work the
way you want them to.

Subversion's locks do not prevent anyone from editing files. They merely
slow other people, besides the owner of the lock, from committing changes.

"svn update" is your friend. Just encourage users to do updates before
they start editing.

Also, the lock-before-edit approach doesn't actually solve the problem
of making sure users have the latest. My recollection from using VSS was
that integration problems showed up more frequently, not less. I think
this was from the illusion that I have the latest version of the file I
want to edit (since I got the lock), so my files are probably all going
to be consistent. In practice, other developers change APIs, and I only
discover that by keeping current on the latest code changes.

The Subversion approach quickly trains users to get the latest changes
frequently.
>    2.  commit and unlock.
Commits and locks are independent.

> Can SVN be configured to have such  operations,  and
> how?
I suspect you could tie yourself up into knots trying to write hook
scripts that accomplish some of what you want, but by the time you get
them working just the way you think you want them, you'll discover that
you probably don't want them that way.

Eric.