subversion-users mailing list archives

From Michael Thayer <michael.tha...@oracle.com>
Subject svn not using gpg-agent
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 16:18:04 GMT
(Not subscribed, please CC me on answers.  Thanks!)

Hello,

I suspect this is a user problem somewhere, but since I upgraded to
Ubuntu 16.10 (Subversion 1.9.4 versus 1.9.3 in 16.04) svn has stopped
using GPG-Agent and started using GNOME Keyring to store my password.
As a test, I deleted all GNOME Keyring passwords, deleted the local
.subversion folder and recreated it with "svn --version", changed the
password-stores line to "password-stores = gpg-agent" and updated.  The
password was saved to the GNOME Keyring again.  For a little bit more
security I would really prefer GPG-Agent though.  (For the record, the
GNOME Keyring FAQ seems to disagree with your FAQ about other
applications accessing stored passwords.<1><2>  But it seems about the
best option just now.  It would be great if svn could fork off a daemon
process itself which would hang around for a while and do the actual
work, but I digress.)

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks!

Michael

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.9.4 (r1740329)
[...]
The following authentication credential caches are available:

* Plaintext cache in /home/michael/.subversion
* Gnome Keyring
* GPG-Agent
* KWallet (KDE)

<1> https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html#gpg-agent
<2> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeKeyring/SecurityFAQ "Can one
application see another application's secrets?"
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697